beschuit met muisjes ("biscuit with mice")
Collected from The Dutch Table
4 tablespoons of butter, room temperature
4 tablespoons of sugar
1 cup of milk
3-3/4 cups of flour
1 scant tablespoon of baking powder
1 scant tablespoon of active dry yeast
1 teaspoon of salt
1. Cream the butter and sugar.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, yeast, and salt in a bowl and add to the creamed butter.
3. Add the milk and the eggs and knead everything into a pliable dough, about 5 minutes.
4. Let it rest in an oiled bowl, covered for fifteen minutes, then divide into 3.5 ounce pieces.
5. Roll and rest under a towel while you prepare the ramekins.
6. Preheat the oven to 350F.
7. Spray each ramekin with cooking spray.
8. Place the dough balls on a baking sheet, cover each one with a ramekin and let the dough rise for about 30 minutes.
9. Place the sheet on the middle rack and bake for 20 minutes, leaving the ramekins in place.
10. Retrieve the baking sheet, remove the ramekins, turn the beschuit over and bake for another 10 minutes.
11. Cool the beschuit until cold to the touch and slice the bread lengthwise in two.
12. Place cut side up on the baking sheet and return the rusks to the oven, lowered to 325F to dry and lightly brown (will take another 10 to 15 minutes).
13. When they're golden and dry, remove, cool, and enjoy!
For more information: Beschuit Met Muisjes in Wikepedia