Beef seaweed Soup
Collected from From Mothers to Mothers
100 grams of seaweed
2 teaspoon of salt
1⁄2 pound beef
3 teaspoon of soy sauce
1⁄2 teaspoon of black pepper
2 teaspoon of (minced) garlic
1.5 liters of water
1 tablespoon of sesame oil
1. Soak dried seaweed in water for at least 1 hour.
2. Slice the beef into thin slices.
3. Place a pot over the stove and add sesame oil and beef.
4. As the beef cooks, place the seaweed in the pot as well. Add the soy sauce, salt, and pep- per. Pan fry for 5 minutes.
5. Add water. Once it boils, add garlic and add more salt, soy sauce, or pepper to match your taste.
6. Stew for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Contributor: Jessie Lan
Nutritional value & potential benefits:
A nutrition dense meal that is rich in minerals and antioxidants. It is also known to be anti-inflammatory and contains antioxidants. Below are some benefits of each ingredient:
Ingredients – value & benefit
Seaweed: very rich mineral profile, source of antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties 1
Sesame oil: low in saturated fats, contains antioxidants2
Ensure proper sourcing of ingredients and eat in moderation as seaweeds may contain heavy metals which may be excreted into milk. 3
Eat in moderation as high amounts of maternal seaweed consumption may lead to iodine-induced neonatal hypothyroidism. 4
Lower the amount of salt used as the South Korean diet is generally high in sodium. A high sodium diet may be associated with hypertension and other complications. 5
If salt is a concern, one can boil seaweed for 2-3 hours to remove salt from seaweed. 6
Korean Culinary Cures: From Tummy Aches To Hangovers, Here's How Moms Cook Up Relief