Collected from Onionin
3 tablespoons of clarified butter
3 heaping tablespoons of Moghat powder (add more if you like it thick)
3 cups of hot water
1/4 cup of sugar, add more if you like it more sweet
1. In a saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Add the Moghat powder.
2. Brown the powder in the butter slightly, stirring constantly. The powder will clump a bit.
3. After browning the powder for a couple minutes, add the hot water. Stirring constantly, then add the sugar.
4. The Moghat will thicken after the sugar is added. Cook it for about 2- 3 minutes, keep stirring.
5. Check and make sure it’s as sweet as you’d like; if needed, you can add more sugar and stir for a bit longer.
6. Pour into your serving cups.
Onionin: Moghat is a popular drink for women after they give birth as a general refresher and lactagogue. It is a mucilaginous plant commonly consumed as a traditional lactagogue in Egypt, and used in medicine as a nutritive tonic for the purpose of promoting lactation, increasing body weight, treating gout, and acting as a demulcent.
For a personal story - click here from Juliet.
Contributor: Jessie Lan
Nutritional value & potential benefits:
This dish is easy to digest and absorb, provides a good source of iron and other nutrients essential for lactation. It also improves immunity and provides anti-inflammatory effects. Below are some benefits of each ingredient:
Ingredient – value & benefit (resource #).
Ginger: relieving nausea, loss of appetite and pain reduction, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds are found in ginger, vitamin C for immune system, fiber for bowel movements 1
Chicken: good source of lean protein 2, provides all essential amino acids, vitamin B12 3
Chicken Broth: high in collagen, calcium, magnesium and other minerals, increases immunity 4
Pig Blood Curd: rich in vitamin C, Riboflavin, protein, iron, calcium, niacin, all increased nutrient needs during lactation, easy to digest and absorb 5
Daikon: high in potassium, vitamin C and phosphorus, improves digestion, help improve blood circulation, anti-inflammatory 6
Use skinless chicken breasts and bones, this helps to avoid extra fat and calories.
Excessive iron intake may cause iron poisoning 7
Decrease the amount of salt used as pig blood curd is already very high in sodium 8
Use homemade chicken broth, boil the bones in the broth for at least 6 hours, this will allow the nutrients to leak into the broth 9